TeamHonkRelay for Sport Relief – Brighton Bound – #TeamHonk
I was going to write a huge long post with lots of photos about the Team Honk Relay today (if you don’t know what I’m talking about – go to the Team Honk website here) but then I came across Chelle McCann’s post which has all the lovely tweets and piccies in one place, she’s done it far better than I was going to so go and have a gander: http://shesparkles.co.uk/health-fitness/brighton-is-part-of-teamhonkrelay-live-feed-here/
Sport Relief do amazing things across the UK and further afield and one of the many charities they support locally is Brighton based Safety Net. In Sport Relief’s own words:
The number of children nationwide that are known to be at risk of abuse is rising. In Brighton & Hove, the rate stands at nearly three times the national average. This project is using an innovative technique that equips young people with the skills to keep safe, develop resilience and to not be afraid to speak up. The project will offer young survivors one-on-one sessions followed by group work. This will give them the skills to become better able to deal with the effects of the abuse.
This is just part of the great work that this charity undertake and is just one of the many projects that Sport Relief and Comic Relief support.
So on to the relay…
From #TeamHonk HQ:
- The Team Honk Blogger Relay starts in Lands End on the 12th January 2014 and finishes in John O Groats on the 23rd March 2014.
- We aim to raise over £20,000 for Sport Relief.
- In terms of modes of transport, you name it we have thought of it: pushchair pushes, roller blading across the Humber, boating round Bristol, #Honkopoly around London, fancy dress, onesies, bikes, scooters, planes, hiking, rafting and mountain climbing.
- #teamhonkrelay involves over 200 bloggers, their friends and families in a route that zig zags up the UK taking in 38 regional teams.
- Here you can see the official regional route details and dates for the relay : http://teamhonk.org/2014-blogger-relay/team-honk-2014-relay-route-and-masterplan/
Getting involved and making a difference is so very very easy, and I’ve just made it EVEN easier by giving you everything you need right here.
I’m nice like that.
1. First, and most importantly, you should get your asses over to the Brighton Just Giving page and donate some mullah! Seriously… just do it now. I’ll wait. http://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/brightonteamhonk
2. You done? Good. Next go forth and spread the word about Team Honk and encourage everyone you know to text the #TeamHonkRelay donation number: Text HONK to 70005 which will donate £5 to Sport Relief .
3. Go Social – Get involved with the hashtag (#TeamHonkRelay) to cheer on the runners/peddlars/scooters/dancers/drivers that are taking part. Don’t forget to tag @Team_Honk and @SportRelief - have a look at the regions that it will be passing through and see what you can do to help; it’s all appreciated, so whether it’s being there to cheer them on or forcing everyone you know to donate a bit of spare cash, it really will go a long way. You can also find out how to become a Social Supporter here: http://teamhonk.org/2014-blogger-relay/call-for-social-media-supporters/
4. Feel ruddy great about yourself. You did good, kid.
You could also pop along to http://www.sportrelief.com/ to get involved with their first ever Sport Relief games, taking place in March. Why the hell not!
ready, steady, GO!